Lately, I have been noticing how many things actually irritate me. We all have certain pet peeves that just really grind our gears, but after taking inventory of the things that threw me off balance this year I think it’s best to air the dirty laundry before starting the new year. Below is a list of things that I just can’t overlook any more.
1. People who appropriate black culture without giving us our dues and respect- seriously Becky, I know rocking those corn rows might make you feel like you are “one “with the culture, but before you do such thing try to understand the history, experience and traditions as to why we braid our hair.
2. People who park in handicap spaces — that damn well shouldn’t and then skip like a fool into the grocery store - Ok bruh, you know you hella wrong for this. Why would you take away a spot from someone who may clearly need it because you are too lazy to park further in the other open spaces like we all do smh.
3. Looking for episodes of old school shows on YouTube (or any other streaming channel) and just finding clips instead of full episodes or nothing at all- seriously YouTube all I want to do is watch The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, but instead you want to try me by only providing short clips of this show. Like seriously, how I’m I supposed to get my entire life with a 2 min clip? Sigh.
4. When African parents call you to give them the TV remote, and it’s right in front of them - all my African folks can relate to this one. African mamas love calling their children from upstairs to come get the remote when it’s right in front of them. Seriously mama and aunties why do y’all do this to us? It’s so frustrating hearing you scream our names just for a damn remote, like is your hand broken?
5. People who like to boast on how drunk they are or love getting belligerent with alcohol- Seriously fool no one asked you, and no one cares. We all knew your ass was drunk before you said anything simply by your actions (and your stench). And quit yelling in my face that you are wasted, excuse me how old are you again?
Do you have anything you want to get off your chest before the end of the year? Let us know #WhatGrindsYourGears!
Three women going through life